July 18, 2016

Flash in the Pan

I’ve noticed something interesting about educational institutions over the years. Usually, once they have researched, procured, and installed
a showcase 3D or VR environment, that’s the last you will hear about it.  That’s explains why I often pursue a long-term reporting strategy. Simply stated, I like to follow up. I am curious to see what has happened, to see if a project has evolved or quietly vanished into educational anonymity. Take the 3D visualization initiative at Nevada State College, for example. After I penned my first piece, Nevada State College Flies High, I wrote a follow-up piece, Unparalleled Learning.  That explains why I returned to the outskirts of Las Vegas to visit Nevada State for a third time. 

In the past two years, Nevada State College has experienced a building and enrollment boom. But with their venerable 3D instructional infrastructure in place, and new construction becoming the new major emphasis, did 3D visualization and display technology take a back seat? Stay tuned for next week’s post on what I saw on my third trip. It's all about the long view...

2 comments:

  1. Dear Len,
    I'll wait for your next post :)
    Do you mean these technologies or the content are becoming obsolete? or teachers not (enough) trained? TY for your study. Regards, Nicolas Mahe - IRDNA (connected on Linkedin 1st)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the answer will be revealed in the next two posts. No, the technologies/content are not necessarily growing so desperately obsolete. But here is a preview of what actually CAN BE occurring:
    Educational settings are both complex and idiosyncratic; there is no single explanation for why a technology may seem to disappear. Here are a few cases i have seen:
    - the technology may morph
    - the technology may undergo a name change, a platform change, a technical change
    - the teachers involved may retire or move elsewhere
    - the administrators overseeing the initiative move on to other priorities, leaving this in place, but focusing all attention on "the next big thing."
    - Reporters, journals and conference session gatekeepers have also moved on in terms of dedicated print space to "the next big thing."
    - Educational institutions are not facile at shouting their own successes.

    ReplyDelete